Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sports At The Worcester Art Museum

My family made our annual visit to the Flora In Winter exhibit at the Worcester Art Museum today. As we roamed through the place looking at the floral exhibits I tried to make note of any works of art having to do with sports. Now, I know it is an art museum rather than a Hall of Fame or memorabilia place - I wasn't expecting to find Rich Gedman's jersey - but I figured there must be some paintings and scultptures having to do with sports themes. And there were - here are a few:
Model Of A Ball Game: This is a Mayan display of a sport that involved, among other things, human sacrifice. Remember this next time you read about soccer hooligans or rowdy football crowds - things have been worse.
Bahram Gur Hunting The Wild Ass: There were more than a few works in the museum dealing with hunting and fishing.
The Jockey: An equestrian work by Toulouse-Lautrec
Boy Playing Marbles: I realize calling marbles a sport is pushing it but nevertheless...
There are others, including skating scenes to name one more that I recall seeing. Surf the museum's site or better yet, if you live in the area, head on over and check things out in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment